When Lent begins later this month, Easter Lutheran Church in Eagan, MN will be using the program Sacred Rhythms by Ruth Haley Barton. Based on gospel stories and ancient Christian practices, this program includes such topics as longing for more, praying with Scripture, making space for God, finding God in everyday experiences, and cultivating our own sacred rhythms.
“Sacred Rhythms” will be offered at various times beginning mid-Feb:
- Wednesday afternoons with Pastor Paul,
- Sunday evenings with Pastors Kris, Kevin, & Sarah,
- Monday evenings or Thursday mornings at Chick Talk women’s group with Julie McCarty (yep, that’s me).
For details on exact times, dates, locations, visit easter.org (click on Lenten worship), or call the parish office,651-452-3680.
If you cannot attend, the Sacred Rhythms book, participant’s guide, and DVD make for great discussions in small groups or as springboard for Lenten journaling.
More Info (FAQ’s):
- Want to preview the sessions? Visit YouTube and search “ruth haley barton sacred rhythms.”
- Which book do I buy? Easter Lutheran will be selling the main text for $15, or you can order from major booksellers online. If you are in a small group that hates reading, you could watch the DVD segments together and do the participant’s guides with your bibles.
- What if I’m not a member at Easter, or not even Lutheran? Come anyway! All are welcome. No fee except for buying the book if you want.
- What if I can’t make all the sessions? Slip into one of the other discussion groups that week, or just come whenever you can.
- Can I bring a friend? Is it for both men and women? Yes! All are welcome! That includes interested teens, too. (Chick Talk, as the title suggests, is a women’s group…)